Friday, December 5, 2008

Pumpkin, pumpkin and more pumpkin!

The question was asked the other day: "What's for dessert"? My answer was, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins and lemon meringue pie. Anyone notice a trend?

I have been doing a poor job of keeping up with my posts as I do frugal stuff, I'm sorry. I started my pumpkin extravaganza right after Halloween. We had three pumpkins for Halloween, 2 that I purchase from Whole Foods ($2/$10) with a coupon that was floating around back then and 1 from a local pumpkin patch. Last year we carved our pumpkins too early, so by Halloween night they were a gross moldy mess, so this year I was going to wait. Well, I waited so long that we didn't carve them at all.

I had been reading different blogs about cooking pumpkins to make puree and then using the puree to make all kinds of yummy goodies, so I did an Internet search to find a website with easy recipes since it was my first time cooking pumpkins. I found this one. I cooked the pumpkin in the microwave and froze the puree. I even roasted some of the seeds which are delicious.

I used their pumpkin pie (including crust) and pumpkin bread recipes, both of which turned out really good. I don't remember where I found the pumpkin muffin recipe, but I used this pumpkin cheesecake recipe. Everything turned out really good, except the muffins, because I ran low on puree and had to modify the recipe.

I will do this again next year.

No comments: